20 Aug 2013

Me good at Up-styles??????Never.........well actually maybe yes!!!


The phrase " I Love to learn new things" is an understatement when it comes to me. Once it is creative in anyway I am sold and will always try my hand at it. So when I seen that the Dublin College of Hairdressing was running Up-style Courses I had to give it a go. 

Last year I took a hairdressing course but had to leave after only a few short weeks because of unforeseen circumstances so I didn't get to learn too much. I have never been very good at doing hair at all. Because I have naturally curly hair I never had the need to learn GHD curls or anything else fancy so when it came to up-styles I was a complete and utter virgin.

Louise is the owner of DCH. I have known Louise for years and know that she has worked incredibly hard to fulfill her dreams of having her own college so this in itself was a selling point for me because I knew she would only teach to her highest ability knowing that she has made her dreams come true. 

On the morning of the course I was surprisingly nervous. Maybe its because it was something new for me or maybe because I was putting myself under pressure to be good. I am not sure but whatever it was the butterflies were in full flight in my stomach that morning. 

Once I got in to the college Louise offered my some tea or coffee and I met the other girl who would be on the course and the nerves began to settle. The other girl was currently working in a hairdressers and I knew by looking at her beautifully tonged hair that she would breeze though the course, but that was great because she would be good motivation for me, the newbie. 

1st up-style-Basic using natural curl of hair
We started off with GHD curls which surprised me because I thought it was an up-style course but Louise informed us that no matter what up-style you do you should always have some sort of curl in it as this will make the style hold better. So Louise demonstrated how to do the curls and then let us have a go. I was a disaster to say the least but Louise was in no way inpatient, infact I dunno how she coped with me. She showed me as many times as I needed and stayed with me until I got it. She really put me at ease and eventually I got some sort of a reasonable curl.....Hooray!!! 

2nd Up-style-Using rollers to create volume

Louise then showed us how to do a basic up-style and as the day went on we moved on to more advanced techniques. The most impressive thing about the whole day was that she didn't show us how to do the old fashioned french roll type up-styles but more the modern up-styles that you would wear to a special event or even on a night out if you like that short of thing.....

3rd Up-style-Classic

My favourite style of the day had to be the last one which was the curly Mohawk. I have admired this hairstyle for years and always expected it to be complicated and way too difficult for me to attempt but again Louise showed us how to do it and we both came up with amazing results.

4th Upstyle- Vintage

Louise is a very calm and laid back person which really makes you feel at ease. She really encouraged our own creativity. If she didn't think something would work she would show us how she felt it would look better but never made you feel silly for not doing it right in the first place. She has an amazing approach to teaching and I should know because I went in to the course knowing nothing and I was honestly shocked at how well I did. I cannot recommend this course and any other of Louise's courses enough. I have no doubt this girl will shine. But the nicest thing about it all is that she has worked her little bum off to get what she wanted and so she deserves all the success she gets. Hard work always pays off in the long run. Her enthusiasm and genuine excitement about teaching is so inspirational that she had me walking out of the college thinking I wanted to be a hairdresser. Maybe I will leave that one until another day.........

5th Up-style- Curly Mohawk

Louise Offers a variety of courses from Dublin College of Hairdressing. From basic beginner courses to refresher and advanced training for qualified hairdressers aswell as ITEC certified courses. Her prices are so reasonable and the cheapest I have seen around, but don't let this turn you off because the standard of teaching is second to none and you will definitely get value for money in doing these courses. This up-style course ran from 10am until 4pm and it cost a very reasonable €85 (this is just an introductory price though).Louise was so kind that she sent us home with a lovely little kit of two different combs (a pin-tail and a backcombing brush) and a very large box of hair clips. Oh and to top it all off she gave us very informative handouts that we could read at home to get more info or to brush up on anything we had learned in the course. She didn't leave any page unturned. I walked in knowing nothing and walked out at 4pm knowing how to create beautiful up-styles aswell as not being afraid to try new things and reassurance that if something goes wrong that it can always be fixed and sometimes mistakes turn out to be the nicest creation. 

You can get more information on the college and the courses at http://www.dublincollegeofhairdressing.ie/. You can also find them on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/dublincollegeofhairdressing.
Also a little side note, if you like this website and are interested in getting your own website done the designer of this website can be found at http://www.jcit.ie/ or at http://www.facebook.com/jcitdublin.

I hope you found this informative and be sure to check out the websites above for more information.

Have a lovely evening

Anita xxxx


6 comments:

  1. Your blog is lovely!!!! Would you like to follow each other on bloglovin' ? xxx

    Gleaming Spire * Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million. I will follow you for sure... xxx

      Delete
  2. Omg I love style 4 but 5 has to be my ultimate favourite! !!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too Zane. I still find it hard to believe I did them :0)

      Delete
  3. Hey!

    I have given you The Versatile Blogger Award! Both you and your blog have inspired me to be the blogger I am today!

    Please see my blog post for the information about the award!

    http://mylifemyblogzane.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/and-the-award-goes-to/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post...I like your pretty blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete